Children’s Ministry Coordinator (CMC)
Reports to: Director of Family Ministries
Summary of Position
The Children’s Ministry Coordinator orchestrates the functioning of the weekly children’s Sunday School ministry, Wednesday Night fellowship/learning times as well as occasional other special Children Ministry events. The CMC also helps oversee and advocates for the “child connection” within St. John’s over-all family ministries, nurturing the discipleship of children and their families to the best of our ability.
Areas of Responsibility
The Children’s Ministry Coordinator carries out the needed functions for establishing a consistent and effective ministry for pre-Ks through 5th graders. The CMC is also in the vital position of making positive church / faith connections with both children & their parents. Thus, the CMC is the primary contact person for Children’s Ministries. Specifically
- Be a St. John’s Children’s Ministry Advocate by seeking to be Jesus’ example of words and actions when he said, “let the children come to me.” (Matthew 19:14)
- Organize both the volunteers & needed supplies for the weekly ministries of Sunday School & Wednesday Night Fellowships as well as help coordinate teams for Vacation Bible School, Christmas Program, End of Year Promotion, retreats, camps, service events, Rally Day etc.
- Weekly communicate with parents & students opportunities for service and learning.
- Maintain needed records, registrations and finances as it pertains to Children Ministry.
- Work with the Family Ministry Team (FMT) in carrying-out needed tasks for special Faith Stepping Stone Blessings and / or special children, youth or inter-generational events.
- A commitment to the Lord Jesus Christ and His church along with an understanding and respect for the Lutheran (NALC/LCMC) teachings of the Christian faith.
- Thus, will model Christ-like discipleship in one’s life, worship, prayer, service, teaching and community involvement.
- An understanding of and commitment to, Christian Education & discipleship for children, youth & families.
- An outreaching and approachable personality with strong leadership skills.
- A commitment to work closely with the DFM, other staff and St. John members as together we seek to develop ministries, implement plans, coordinate activities and contribute toward existing mission and ministry projects and initiatives: A commitment to be a “TEAM” player!
- Willing to undergo a full background check and be in compliance with St. John’s policies and procedures which include Ministry Safe training and testing.
Heart Required: One that loves the LORD and desires to serve Him! Also required, a heart that is patient, kind and loves working with kids and their families.
Skills Required: Good child & adult communication abilities; organized, reliable, and good at planning; A lack of fear in sharing one’s faith and praying out loud.
Additional Skills Desired for within the Family Ministry Team – BUT NOT NECESSARY: Someone who is fluent in Spanish; Someone who is capable of leading in song via guitar, piano or other; Audio / Visual Technology Know How; Certified / Trained in First Aid; A wiz at social media! (A willingness to learn one of these areas for the sake of the ministry would stand out as well.)
The Children’s Ministry Coordinator works closely with and is accountable to the Director of Family Ministries. He/she meets weekly for ministry planning and ministry supervision. He/she reports to the Family Committee when requested.
Part Time Position: Hourly or 20 hr. salaried rate will be determined by candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Start Date: January 2, 2018