At St. John, there are many opportunities to serve. Check out the information below and sign up to serve in a way that best suits you!
An Acolyte is typically a 6th – 8th grade confirmand/student that assists the Pastor during worship and religious services, but high school students are also welcome to participate. Volunteers will:
- Arrive for worship 15 minutes before the service begins.
- In the choir room, put on your robe and cross necklace. Take a moment to pray and reflect on your service.
- 2 minutes before the service, ignite the candlelighters, proceed to the alter and light the candles.
- Be seated in the front pew and participate in worship service.
- After the sermon, assist with the passing of the collection plates, by taking them from the alter and giving them to the ushers. Receive the collection plates in return, and deliver to the Pastor for praise and thanksgiving.
- During Holy Communion preparation, receive the Body and Blood of Christ at the Communion Rail, then assist with collection of communion cups, distribution of grape juice.
- After communion and final hymn, return to the choir room, retrieve candlelighters, use the snuffer bell to smother candles.
Administration: Office Helper
An Office Helper assists the front office with general duties on an as-needed basis.
- Answer telephone calls for St. John
- Greet guests that come to the St. John office
- Assist with light computer work
The Altar Guild members serve in monthly teams, behind the scenes, to set the Altar for Communion (Early Service Teams) or wash and put away the Communion vessels after services (Late Service Teams). Volunteers will:
- Work in the Altar Guild Room (left front of Main Sanctuary) which usually takes 10-15 minutes
- Early Service Teams arrive at 7:30am
- During Communion, replenish wafers and wine and pray for the communicants
- Choose which service you wish to serve at (Early or Late) and the month
- Obtain a substitute if you need one due to scheduling conflicts
- Serve with experienced members and receive detailed instructions in advance of your serving
- Visit the Altar Guild Room before or after any service to talk to our members or to see our handbook and photos
The Assisting Minister takes on the role of assisting minister as written in the liturgy used during the 10:45am service. The Assisting Minister serves in a 2 month rotation, serving approximately once every 2 months. Volunteers will:
- Receive training from Pastor Mariola Bergquist
- Provide scheduling conflicts to scheduler via email (current scheduler: Reidun Hilleman)
- Prepare for assigned Sunday by familiarizing with chanted/spoken sections of the liturgy
- Prepare prayer petitions
- On day of participation, be early and robed at the start of the service
A/V assistance provide a crucial function in the Worship Service to promote a smooth,
continuous flow of the Service. Volunteers will:
- Operate the Sound Board
- Operate Video and Power Point
- Projections used during the service.
- Operate the Live Streaming equipment
- Have a high degree of A/V technical skills are not required, since a Tech person will be with you at all times.
- Be available at least 30 minutes prior to the service during which you will be serving.
- Be expected not to use your cellphone or anything else that could distract you while on duty.
- No Food or Drinks are allowed around any of the equipment.
- Be reliable.
Blast! Helpers lead Sunday School lessons weekly from 9:30am –10:30am for children ages Pre-K through 5th grade. Volunteers will:
- Get to know children and their families
- Have fun teaching lessons about Jesus and the Bible
- Show up at 9:00am on Sundays for fellowship and morning directions
- Assist other Blast! Helpers
- Volunteer on a monthly or semester basis
A Choir Singer attends Wednesday night choir practices and sings in the choir. Choir singers will:
- Be available to practice on Wednesdays from 6:30pm to 7:40pm in the Sanctuary
- Have the ability to sing on pitch
- Attend the 10:45am Sunday service
Church Picnic Volunteer
Church Picnic Volunteers help at the annual church picnic event, usually held in the month of October. We need volunteers for:
- Ticket Sales
- Site Preparation
- Tear Down
- Clean Up
- Game Warden
- Train Engineer / Conductor
- Pecan Harvester
Communion Server / Communion Assistant
Communion Servers and Communion Assistants help to distribute bread and wine during Holy Communion. Volunteers will:
- Serve on Sunday mornings and at occasional weekday services
- Show up when scheduled
- Know the words to say:
Wine: “The Blood of Christ Shed For You”
Bread: “The Body of Christ Given For You”
- Know the words to bless children who do not commune
Growing Hope Ministry
The Growing Hope ministry provides an opportunity for you to “Make Jesus Known” and share the gospel, through one-on-one mentoring, with families in our community.
Service Opportunities include:
- Writing cards/notes of encouragement
- Appointment reminder calls to clients
- Bi-Monthly calls to families – dialog will be provided
- Graphic design – newsletters/flyers
- Special Projects Coordinator – monthly/holidays
- Mentors for families in need
- Back up Mentors when Mentors are unable to deliver to their client
- Back up logistics person – help load unload and allocate products for families
- On Call drivers – on occasion we many need to drop off boxes if the client cannot make it to the distribution
Halloween ‘Monster Mash’ Trick or Treat
Halloween Trick or Treat will be held on October 31 from 12:15pm – 2pm. We will decorate tables in the Family Life Center for Halloween and pass out candy to the children. There will be fun and activities for all ages, as well as food. This is a community event, so help us to reach out to our neighbors! Volunteer opportunities to help with this event include:
- Joining us and decorating a table
- Passing out Halloween candy (host a table)
- Serving food
- Overseeing the planned activities
- Clean up
A Handbell Ringer attends practices on Thursday nights (not every week) and plays with the bell choir. Volunteers will:
- Be available to practice on Thursdays from 7:00pm to 8:00pm
- Have the ability to count.
- Be able to play rhythmically and “on time”
Lectors read lessons from the Old and New Testament assigned for each Sunday Worship Service. Volunteers will:
- Read lessons on Sunday mornings at 8am and 10:45am Worship Services
- Show up when scheduled
- Bring a copy of lessons that are emailed prior to the Sunday of serving.
- Are able to read slowly, clearly and with proper diction
New Member Sponsor
As a New Member Sponsor – part of the New Member Care Ministry – current members have the opportunity to assist new members as they grow in their relationship with God and to
welcome them to their new church family. Volunteers will:
- Attend one or more new member classes to connect with a group of new members
- Answer new member questions about St. John Lutheran church.
- Introduce new members during Sunday gatherings.
- Explain and invite new members to our church programs and activities.
- Suggest opportunities for which new members can use their talents to serve.
- Attend the service of induction with their new members.
- Maintain close contact with new member as they grow in the church family.
Operation Christmas Child 2021
Operation Christmas Child is a way to demonstrate God’s love in a tangible way to children in need around the world, and together with the local church worldwide, to share the Good News of Jesus Christ. Volunteers can:
- Pack a box and drop off at SJLC during Drop-off week
- Donate money! Donations go to directly support the collecting, processing, shipping, and other project costs
- November 15-22 – Assist with manning the church during the OCC Box Drop-Off times
- November 22 – Help pack the OCC boxes into cartons and ready them for loading on a truck for transport
- November 22 – Load the cartons into a truck
Praise Service Slide Operators
Praise Service Slide Operators run the laptop and advance the slideshow during the 9:30am Praise Service so that the congregation can sing, praise, and worship. Volunteers will:
- Serve approximately once per month
- Arrive by 9:10 am and report to the Praise Band
- Know how to operate a MacBook and use PowerPoint
SonShine Team (Greeter)
SonShine Team members provide a warm and welcoming environment for each and every guest and member attending St. John’s worship services. Volunteers will:
- Greet all guests and members with an open door, welcoming smile and warm handshake
- Direct all attendees needing assistance to find their destination by escorting them to that location
- Provide information from the Info Desk (when scheduled) by becoming familiar with all StJLC personnel, activities, schedules, special events and building layout
- Provide Visitor Packets to all first time visitors as they are identified
- Be available to start 30 minutes prior to your assigned worship service
- Pray that you will be a blessing to each person you greet by making them feel welcomed to worship our Lord at StJLC
Sunday Breakfast Team
The Sunday Breakfast Team makes sure the coffee is on and the food is ready in the
Family Life Center. Volunteers will:
- Arrive at 7:45am to help prepare food and drink so it is ready by 8:45am.
- Serve attendees until 10:45am
- Clean up tables, serving area and kitchen at 10:45am
- Work with other team members to plan timing, so that each person is able to attend worship
- Pray that the food and fellowship will bless all who partake
Ushers provide a warm and welcoming environment for each and every guest and member and enable the Pastors to conduct an organized worship service. Volunteers will:
- Be available to start 30 minutes prior to your assigned worship service
- Greet and provide bulletins/information to all guests and members entering the Sanctuary
- Direct all attendees needing assistance to find seating by escorting them to that location
- At appropriate times, the ushers will collect Prayer Cards, collect Offerings, and usher attendees to the Altar for Communion
- Count attendance in the Sanctuary, blast!, Narthex, and Nursery
- Pray that you will be an instrument in making every worship service a blessing to all in attendance